What is ABLATIVE LASER?
Ablative laser treatment for skin rejuvenation is widely considered to be one of the most effective skin resurfacing techniques available today. The laser aims an intense wavelength of light on damaged skin and vaporises the outer layers that have been affected by sun, age, and other factors.
In addition to destroying damaged skin, the laser stimulates underlying skin cells to trigger collagen production. The result is a noticeable improvement in facial fine lines and wrinkles.
There are two different types of lasers used in facial rejuvenation:
- Ablative lasers – They remove thin layers of the skin’s surface, removing sunspots, evening pigment and enabling fresh skin to form from below.
- Non-ablative lasers – These are non-wounding lasers. They stimulate collagen production and help to renew underlying skin.
Non-ablative laser treatments for skin beauty are less invasive and require less downtime than ablative treatments. They may, however, require multiple treatments to match the results of an ablative treatment. When a patient’s unique circumstances call for the use of ablative laser skin resurfacing, our doctor utilises:
- Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Laser Rejuvenation– For years, CO2 laser resurfacing has been the treatment of choice for a range of skin issues, including wrinkles, scars, warts, sunspots and pores, and other conditions. The laser pulses are administered in a scanning pattern, which causes minimal peripheral damage while precisely removing thin layers of skin.
We use the Syneron-Candela CO2RE carbon dioxide laser, one of the latest and most technically advanced CO2 lasers in the industry.
Recovery from this ablative laser facial resurfacing treatment takes one to two weeks depending on depth of treatment.
- Downtime: 1 – 2 weeks depending on treatment depth
- Preparation: A consultation with our Dr is required before the day of procedure to ensure you are adequately prepared for the treatment. If required, a script for anti-viral medication and/or appropriate antibiotics will be provided. You must not have been in the sun – unprotected – for at least 2 weeks. After the treatment it is best to minimise exposure of the treated area to sunlight whilst the skin is healing and renewing.
- Approximate cost: $800 – 3000